Last night, the Walking With The Wounded Everest 2012 Expedition Summit Team departed for Nepal.
Martin Hewitt, Jaco Van Gass, Karl Hinett, David Wiseman and Francis Atkinson will all be attempting to summit the world’s highest mountain in late May. They are also joined by Dan Majid, who will be the Expedition’s reporter and communications manager at Everest Base Camp for the duration of the expedition.
Friends, family and supporters all came down to London Heathrow airport to give the team an emotional and heartfelt send-off. Expedition Patron, Prince Harry, also took time out from his busy schedule to see the team in person and give them his best wishes.
The team will arrive in Kathmandu later today, and they will spend the next two months trekking to Everest Base Camp and then acclimatising on the mountain and Lobuche. Depending on weather, they are expecting to summit the 8,848 metre peak in late May, before returning to the UK for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations in June.
Check out more photos from the team’s departure on Facebook here!
- 27th March Summit team departs UK
- 28th March Summit team arrives Kathmandu
- 9th April Summit team arrives at Everest Base Camp
- 16th April Team summits Lobuche
- 24th April Team takes first steps on Everest
- 28th April Glenfiddich Pioneers Depart for Nepal
- 10th May Glenfiddich Whisky Nosing at Everest Base Camp
- 13th – 18th May First weather window and possible summit attempt
- 22nd – 27th May Likely weather window and summit attempt
- 3rd June Team arrives in UK
- 4th June Team summit Snowdon for Queen’s Diamond Jubilee