The Balmoral Challenge is an unmissable, new event for your team of four to take on one of three physically and mentally challenging routes on the stunning Balmoral Estate on 24 June 2017 – Armed Forces Day.
The event raises money for Walking With The Wounded’s programmes supporting vulnerable veterans and starts and finishes in front of the castle, thanks to the gracious permission of Her Majesty The Queen.
Every team that takes part can support a veteran to reintegrate back into society and regain their independence.
Come and meet and compete alongside our inspirational beneficiaries from across Scotland who will be taking part in this uplifting and motivational event. There is a route for all abilities and you’ll be amazed what you can achieve.
“It was so calm, and so solitary, as one gazed around; the pure mountain air was most refreshing. All seemed to breathe freedom and peace, and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.” Queen Victoria, Balmoral, Sept 8, 1848
23-24 June 2017 (Friday night registration from 5pm, including dinner, briefing and talk).
(the exact routes and distances will be revealed in October):
- The Triple Crown – The big one. A 33km race back to Balmoral over three Munros from a secret drop off point. (Age 18+)
- The Prince’s Stone – The thinking one. Minimum 20km. How many points can your team collect within the time limit? Test your team’s strategy – will you gamble or make it back in good time after finding the historic Prince’s Stone? (Age 16+ with one 18+ on each team)
- The Cairn Chaser – The family one. A circa 15km foray exploring the cairns in the forests above the castle for those new to the mountains or for schools and cadets (Age 12+ with one 18+ on each team).
Please note – You can change your route choice and team members up until four weeks before the event
COST (per team of four):
- Opening Special £200 (Mon 1 Aug – Sun 2 Oct)
- Early Bird £250 (Mon 3 Oct – Fri 10 Feb)
- Standard Entry £275 (Sat 11 Feb – Sun 12 March)
- Late Entry £300 (Mon 13 March – Mon 1 May)
- Military Teams (all four serving) get 50% discount if they bring a volunteer (who can be military or civilian to help us staff the event). Email firstname.lastname@example.org for a discount code.
Each team is challenged to raise £1,000 to directly support a veteran back into independence. That’s £250 per person, supported by our team along the way. You’ll be amazed with how much you actually raise when you get going.
Balmoral Castle, Balmoral Estate, Ballater, Aberdeenshire AB35 5TB
Camp on the Balmoral Estate, a stone’s throw from the castle and with the freedom to explore the grounds at your leisure before and after the event – £30 per person to camp Fri & Sat night inclusive (includes toilets and hot showers). Option to book when registering your team.
Hotels and B&Bs – For suggestions please use the Visit Cairngorms site.
Unsure? See some of the many testimonials from our Cumbrian Challenge event in the Lake District… or watch the video below.
Spread the word and sign up rival teams from your office, industry or friendship network.
Corporate teams to take part in our Cumbrian Challenge event have included RBS, Speedflex, KPMG, Birketts, ESRI, Virgin Money, Jones Lang LaSalle, Serco, NHS, Bunn Fertiliser, Aegis, Edison, Shard Capital and many more.
“Thank you very much for staging an excellent Cumbrian Challenge. I am now walking like John Wayne but safe in the knowledge that it is all for a very good cause! I thought the route was excellent. The marshalling and check points were very well organised and the encouragement from all and sundry was hugely appreciated!” Peter Bristowe, Founding Director, Edison
WHAT YOU GET:
Your Balmoral Challenge team entry fee includes:
- Admission to the Balmoral Castle gardens and grounds
- Friday and Saturday evening meal
- Friday night motivational talk
- Saturday morning breakfast (bacon rolls!)
- Saturday afternoon hot and cold drinks and snacks at the finish line
- A technical training t-shirt (to be worn during the event)
- Exclusive finishers medal
- Talk from WWTW CEO and co-founder Ed Parker
- Water stops en route and First Aid teams
- Mountain rescue team (with vehicle support) and route marshalls
- Suggested training, food and required kit information
- Official timing and checkpoint control staff
- Health and safety route management
- Toilet facilities and hot showers at the site base
- Saturday evening entertainment
- Fundraising support team and materials
The Balmoral Challenge raises funds to support vulnerable veterans reintegrate back into society and regain their independence through WWTW’s programmes.
Each team is challenged to work together as part of your team-building preparation and fundraise £1,000 before their big day (£250 per person). You will be amazed what you can achieve and you will be supported with a special fundraising pack containing ideas and tips of how to hit your target. We will also be on the end of the phone if needs be with further support.
5 key fundraising tips to blast past your £1,000 team target:
- 100% uplift – create an online page and send it out!
- 46% uplift – add a target to your online page
- ?% – ask your employer about matched funding
- Stage an office sweepstake on your finishing position
- Host a ‘Come Dine With Me’, quiz, adventure talk night or BBQ evening before or after the challenge
- Highest fundraising team
- Fastest ‘Triple Crown’ team (men & women)
- Fastest military team (Triple Crown route)
- Fastest corporate team (Triple Crown route)
- University Plate (Triple Crown route)
- Winning ‘Prince’s Stone’ team (men & women)
- Highest placed corporate team (Prince’s Stone)
- Highest placed school or cadet team (Prince’s Stone)
- Best fancy dress
- Best placed Over 50s team (Triple Crown and Prince’s Stone routes)
- Fastest Cairn Chaser team (men & women)
This event is run by Walking With The Wounded staff and volunteers. Want to be involved but can’t compete for whatever reason? Then please come and volunteer. Email email@example.com to find out more. Be part of something special and help us make this inaugural event sing.
“Thanks so much for the opportunity to be part of the team again. I enjoyed every minute, please thank everybody from me and I’ll definitely see you again next year.” Neil, volunteer at WWTW’s Cumbrian Challenge 2016
“Just wanted to touch base as we’re all drawing breath after such a wonderful weekend and express my gratitude at being able to be part of such a fantastic and meaningful event and how much I enjoyed working with you all. The work you guys do is amazing and the atmosphere created by both yourselves and the competitors over the weekend was just electric.” Andy, volunteer at WWTW’s Cumbrian Challenge 2016
Members of the ‘Armed Forces Family’ – Serving personnel, Veterans, Cadets and their Families are welcome to attend the Event HQ for free during the day to cheer on friends, family or colleagues taking part or come and meet our beneficiaries and staff. To do so please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for a pass. If you wish to camp then please see the charges above to help us cover the cost of facilities.
PRESTIGIOUS OPPORTUNITY FOR 2017
Call Andy on 01263 863 902 or email email@example.com for information
Testimonial from our Cumbrian Challenge sponsors Helly Hansen:
“The Challenge has enabled us to engage with some highly influential people, deliver our brand objectives by assisting with such a well-run experience and to gain valuable PR exposure – all while supporting this phenomenal charity at what is one of its biggest fundraising events in the calendar.
“We are proud to have been associated with the Cumbrian Challenge and would not hesitate to encourage other partners to experience the potential this event has to offer by offering their support.” David Wiley Sales Director, Helly Hansen:
This event could not take part without the gracious permission of Her Majesty The Queen and the generous support of the Balmoral Estate staff and our event partners. If you would like to benefit from involvement or can support the event in some way please contact Andy@wwtw.org.uk