The challenge comprised two circular routes from Grasmere, catering for varying levels of physical fitness and determination.
Both routes raced over the mighty Fairfield:
The Tough – 20km hike, 1,300m of altitude gain, expected time: 5-11 hours (depending on experience)
The Tougher – 29km hike, 1,800m of altitude gain, expected time: 5-11 hours (depending on experience)
The challenge started and finished in Grasmere enabling one bustling HQ for the pre event race meeting and dinner, post event awards and BBQ evening event.
- Highest fundraising team – Norfolk ‘N’ Good (£3,600)
- Fastest ‘Tougher’ route team – Royal Dragoon Guards
- Fastest ‘Tough’ route team – Speedflex 3
- University Plate – Cambridge University OTC
- Best fancy dress – SinceI’veGone.com
- Over 50s Fastest 200 (leading team with a combined age of 200+ for each course) – Sponsored by Silversurfers.com – RBS Corporate Manc/Leeds and Serco Strollers
- CC Captains – Anyone completing their third Cumbrian Challenge received a WWTW Buff
Walking With The Wounded will make a donation to ‘Fix The Fells’ who are part of the National Trust and are responsible for mending any deterioration caused by visitors to The Fells.
Green’s Café in Grasmere can cater for packed lunch requests, including gluten/dairy free and vegan diets. Please email email@example.com to pre order in advance, until the morning of Thursday 14th May prior to the event. £1 for every packed lunch booked through Green’s will be donated to Walking With The Wounded.
If there is sufficient demand (they can cater for all 1,000 team members if needed) they will deliver to the event ground on the day itself, so please check this. If not, then Karen will arrange an early collection prior to their usual opening at 0800, please ensure you check this. You can pay by card over the phone.
For more information on the weekend itinerary, local accommodation and transport links please see the PDF’s below all of which can be downloaded. Please do not contact the office to book or discuss accommodation.
This event could not take place without the generous support of our title sponsors and partners – ESRI, Glenfiddich, Virgin Money, Catlin and Arqiva and also to KM Security Solutions for providing the event security.