Walking Home For Christmas is Walking With The Wounded’s campaign to support homeless and other vulnerable veterans this Christmas by helping them to reintegrate back into society and regain their independence, through employment. If you don’t sign up and raise money, we can’t support them.
- Small entry fee + postage to enter
- You get a pack with a branded Santa hat, hi-vis vest, wristband and fun ideas
- Walk any distance, anywhere, anytime in December
- Set up a fundraising page – Could your walk raise £50?
- Is home too far? Be inventive. Walk to the park & ride, a party, a landmark, a friends house, get off the tube a stop early… and make it sociable
- DOWNLOAD resources to help you. Good luck!
Many of our veterans have walked in far worse and more dangerous environments than we might care to imagine. Be inspired by their determination and challenge yourself to take part.
Could you lead a public walk?
- If you are 18+ and want to lead a public walk or a big group walk then sign up as a Captain.
- Create a walk which anyone can join – then encourage others to get involved.
- It will be listed on our event map and we will champion your efforts.
- Already created a walk? Click here to edit/update it.
- NB only upcoming walks are shown on the map.
66,090 reasons to take part*
*The estimated number of ex servicemen and women who left the military between 1991 and 2014 who will need support for service-related physical or mental health issues. (King’s College, 2016)
“There is a good body of evidence suggesting that the majority of those with healthcare needs do not ask for help.” Neil Greenberg, Professor of Defence Mental Health, King’s College, and WWTW trustee.
- By signing up you will help our innovative programmes support the most vulnerable veterans.
- This includes homeless veterans, veterans in the criminal justice system and those in need of mental health support.
“Walking With The Wounded have given me a lot of support and direction. The harsh reality is that without this support I would probably have ended up in jail.“ Sean Cook
“When I was injured I was very frustrated and quite angry. I had no confidence and thought I’d never work again. Since then, with the support I have received I have regained about 70% of the freedom I lost when I was injured.“ Anam Ahmed
“I have purpose again and am valued for what I do and in turn this helps me fight my demons and aid my recovery.” Naomi Adie
How Will We Support You?
- Packs will be sent out from late October with full details about how to take part
- Advice on how to organise your own walk or get your company involved.
- Don’t want to walk alone? See our list of public walks hosted by Captains which are open to all. Or host one.
- Prizes – Keep your eyes peeled for opportunities to win.
- PR and publicity for you and your business.
- Facebook group for updates and photos.
- Get ideas and share photos via #WalkingHomeForChristmas
- Add your walk to our storyboard of 2016 walks
Who Will Your Money Help?
- Walking With The Wounded supports veterans with physical, mental or social injuries on their journey to long-term security, independence and employment.
- This includes supporting homeless veterans, veterans in the criminal justice system and those in need of mental health support.
- We have projects in London, Manchester, Glasgow, Dundee, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Catterick, Aldershot, Colchester and Bristol with more opening soon.
- Last year’s campaign supported 250 vulnerable veterans back into independence. You can help us better that this year?
- Meet the ex-servicemen and women you are helping to support and read about our innovative programmes.
(individuals and groups or teams)
(could you lead a public walk?)
GET YOUR COMPANY INVOLVED
- Team outing – Walk to a dinner, Christmas party, gig or sporting fixture
- Challenge clients – Walk between offices, to a client – anywhere that gets you unique, memorable time with them
- Employee well-being – Encourage staff to ditch the tube, car or bus and try walking home
- Business development – Create an industry walk event for targets and clients old and new to engage with while highlighting your CSR commitments
- Incentivise – Get competitive and reward staff sign ups/fundraising with a draw for extra holiday, Christmas hamper or bubbles
- Workplace Challenge – Use WHFC as part of your firm’s introduction to or participation in the national Workplace Challenge
- Meet our beneficiaries – Walk to WWTW’s London offices at Royal Hospital Chelsea for Christmas drinks with our beneficiaries on Tues 6th Dec or walk with our Manchester team on Thurs 8th Dec from the cenotaph in Manchester city centre to our North West office on Canada St.
- Organise a mass walk at lunchtime and have a lesson on why we should support our vulnerable veterans
- Encourage parents to walk to/from school with their children on a particular day or any time in December.
- An alternative staff Christmas team night out – walk to a restaurant for some well deserved R&R.
- We have child-sized vests this year!
If you have any questions or ideas we’d love to hear from you.
Call Kate Sylvester on 01263 863 902 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pay in fundraising money
- Join the Facebook Group
- Add your walk to our storyboard
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Images and resources
- Terms and Conditions