In memory of Danny Johnston WWTW is honoured to be working alongside Danny’s family to raise awareness of mental health and to provide a meaningful legacy in his memory.
Join us on 1st September at St Swithun’s School in Winchester to cycle or walk in support of veterans struggling to adapt to life post military service.
Can't be there to ride or walk? Support others in Danny’s memory and donate to his memorial page...
This one-day cycling and walking challenge on the South Downs Way promises to be a truly uplifting event as cyclists take on the famous chalk hills from the start in Winchester alongside inspirational wounded servicemen and women - including wounded veteran and GB team para-cyclist Jaco Van Gass who was part of the charity’s expedition teams to the North Pole and Everest.
Riders taking on the Double Downs challenge will raise funds to support the UK’s most at-risk veterans, suffering from physical, mental and social challenges, to reintegrate into society and lead productive and fulfilling lives.
Our challenging route utilises the South Downs Way and surrounding lanes and tracks. There will be two time cut offs on the course. If you are outside the time limit, you will be rerouted to begin your return journey to Winchester.
Key Information: Cycle - Click here for the course map
- Starts at 09:00
- There is one out-and-back route with two time cut-offs giving riders three options:
- Short Course - 53km, 3080ft ascent
- Medium Course - 75km, 4330ft ascent
- Long Course - 100km, 6185ft ascent
- 90% off-road
Key Information: Walk
- 10km walk along the South Downs up to Cheesefoot Head, scene of Eisenhower's address to the American troops on the eve of D-Day 70 years ago.
- Starts at 10:00.
- Entry is free and optional Hog Roast BBQ at finish which is pay on the day.
Entry to the Double Downs ride includes:
- Breakfast including coffee/tea at registration on the Saturday morning;
- Rider support throughout the event;
- Feed stations on the route;
- Marshall support at key junctions;
- Hog Roast BBQ at finish on the Saturday.
DATES: Double Downs: 1 September 2018 (registration from 7am)
ENTRY COST: Cycling £50 each, walking is free entry
FUNDRAISING: Each participant is challenged to raise £150 in Danny's memory.
Bring a buddy to help a buddy - Create your page here.
REGISTRATION, START AND FINISH LOCATION: St. Swithun’s School, Alresford Rd, Winchester SO21 1HA
AGE RESTRICTION: Cycling 18+
Got a question? Please email Adam Horler via firstname.lastname@example.org