Meet the MDS Team for 2022
Introducing our team of amazing fundraisers taking on the 'toughest footrace on earth' in order to support ex-servicemen and women
Walking With The Wounded has a tradition of turning up to the Marathon des Sables in numbers, and we are back in force for 2022.
The MDS is known as the 'toughest footrace on earth' and involves running 6 marathons in 6 days across the Sahara. As one past fundraiser described it, it's "the equivalent of running from London to Dover, deciding not to go to France after all and running back again in 120 degree heat, with a backpack on and voices in your head talking about cold beer!"
It's an event that requires determination, mental strength and teamwork to succeed.
There is a rest day after the longest stage, but it may well take you into that day before you get to the finish. Competitors stay overnight in a bivouac village, comprised of tents that sleep about 8 competitors per tent - and your 'bivvy' team become your family, your support team, your nursing team and invariably they become long-term friends.
Walking With The Wounded is part of the history of the event now after Duncan Slater became the first double-leg amputee to finish the MDS and another team member, Tom Evans, recorded the highest-ever British finish, coming 3rd in 2017.
We are currently recruiting our team of 24 amazing people who are taking on this epic event and raising vital funds to support ex-servicemen and women through the charity's programmes. Do you have what it takes to join them? Is it on your bucket list? If the answer is yes, get in contact with email@example.com to find out more about joining our team.
Introducing our team of fundraisers:
1. Ben Gallagher - member of the Grenadier Walk of Oman team
2. Marcus Baker - Director of Rothschild Private Wealth
3. Rob Buchanan - running the MDS with Marcus Baker
4. Chris Rosindale – Agency operations director for Yopa Property
5. Simon Harris - Ex RAF, now a security operations manager for EasyJet
6. Harry Whitbread - former British Army Captain and now MD of London Speaker Bureau's US operations.
7. Chris Clark
8. Mat Poole - Project Manager at Cisco
9. 23rd Parachute Engineers Regiment (Airborne Sappers) - Dan Lansley, Tom Partington, Pedro Dobinson, (follow their story on Instagram: @sandy_sappers)
10. Rob Gibbs - Ex Blues & Royals, now financial services consultant with GFT Group
11. David Cobbald - Portfolio manager at the Pension Protection Fund
12. Duncan Murray - ex pro rugby player and corporate wellness consultant for the London Fitness Co
13. Emma Carpenter - Pilates instructor for Enhanced Movement Studio
14. Glen Watts - Ex Royal Welsh, now operations manager for security services company GardaWorld
15. Paul Rossington - Analyst for HSBC
16. Andrew Smallbone - British Army Lieutenant Colonel and Vice President of the Army Officers Selection Board
17. James Ryan - ex Army officer
18. Sean Clark - Founder and director of online marketing agency Clark St James
Want to donate? See our team VirginMoneyGiving page and individual pages here
Want to watch a documentary on WWTW at the MDS? Click here to see a film about on of our past MDS teams including GB Olympic skier and BBC presenter Graham Bell
Want to take on an event but after something a little shorter? Check out our Cumbrian Challenge.
Walking With The Wounded teams at the Mds
Could you be part of our team of fundraisers? Here are some highlights from our teams taking part in the Marathon des Sables - the world's toughest footrace