Equity, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
Improving our work by championing Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Everyone at WWTW is committed to understanding the importance of building a diverse workforce to bring different experiences to our table.
We are learning that different lived experiences can help us become more creative, challenge our thinking, and widen our reach. We aspire for people of all backgrounds to see Walking With The Wounded as an organisation where they feel welcome.
Our core values of Respect and Integrity are helping us make sure Equity, Diversity and Inclusion are always a priority within Walking With The Wounded and in our community.
Our commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion ensures the veterans we work with and their families are supported by accessible and inclusive programmes, and our external partnerships are with like-minded organisations.
How we will bring Equity, Diversity and Inclusion to life at Walking With The Wounded
Over the next three years, we will focus on four key areas of how we work, embedding our pledge in every decision and action we take.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion within Education
Finding and using information that will help us understand, support and promote diversity:
- Analysis of our current Equity, Diversity and Inclusion work to understand under-representation at Walking With The Wounded
- Learning from others through conversations, adopting a curious mindset, and listening without judgement
- Further (and continued) training for line managers on topics such as unconscious bias, equal opportunity, inadvertent discrimination, protected characteristics, and fair recruitment practices
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion within Workforce
Employees share responsibility for promoting an inclusive workplace that is stronger because of its diversity:
- Aiming to recruit proactively in under-represented areas to increase diversity in our workforce and especially within our leadership team and Board of Trustees, recognising that these groups have the widest influence on others in our organisation
- Removing possible unconscious bias from our processes e.g. blind sifting, group sifting, diverse interview panels
- Recruitment processes and campaigns which reach minority audiences
- Straightforward and easily accessible application, selection and recruitment processes
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion within Culture
All employees feel valued, supported, and enjoy a culture of mutual respect:
- Being honest with our staff about where we are now, where we want to get to, and how we will do it
- Ensuring policies are regularly reviewed, non-discriminatory, and reflect our commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and that they are applied consistently and fairly
- Diversity and inclusion will be priorities, discussed at high level meetings, and incorporated in all aspects of our work and operations
- Encouraging people to bring their full selves to work, without judgement, through team building activities and honest conversations
- Forming Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) from groups of employees with commonality where people can come together to support, learn and create
- Taking a robust stance against any behaviour or action which contradicts our values and Equity, Diversity and Inclusion pledge
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion within our Community
Through careful programme development and working with like-minded organisations Walking With The Wounded fosters a sense of community where any person who has served, and their family, feels welcome:
- Our website and social media will ensure language and imagery is inclusive and that we are open about our Equity, Diversity and Inclusion journey
- Ongoing analysis of our performance against Equity, Diversity and Inclusion themes will enable us to adjust our approach as required
- Ensuring WWTW events and staff leave a positive impression in the locations they take place in terms of how we present ourselves and the impact we have on the local environment
Contact us today with any questions or comments about Walking With The Wounded and Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
MORE ABOUT WWTW
What we do
We help with employment, mental health and support care coordination for UK veterans and their families struggling after military service.
Donate, fundraise or partner with us and help veterans and their families rebuild their lives.
Working with WWTW
Work with a passionate and professional team, dedicated to supporting those who served.